Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Ventage Tuesday: All I Read are Bedtime Stories

Confession: I feel like a great big giant fraud writing this post. Maybe even worse than when I wrote that fashion post. Remember that? Ha! Though, I am wearing makeup today, jeans that fit, and cute shoes. So perhaps all was not lost.

But today I'm supposed to write about books I want to read. Books. Like, for myself. Books that don't have pictures. Books with pages made of real paper and not laminated cardboard. Books that don't rhyme. I used to read quite a bit. I remember going to the used book store once a month with two grocery bags full of paperbacks I had devoured. I'd trade those in for a credit and then spend an hour searching the shelves for stuff I hadn't read yet. I'm not sure where that part of me went, but she left sometime in high school or college I think, when required reading took up any spare time I might have had for recreational reading. Then, when I moved on to the real world, my recreational reading was done on the internet. Blogs and internet forums, and all the research a girl could want. I've read a few books for myself in the past few years, but mainly on vacation, when flights and layovers made me a captive audience. Now, my vacations involve little people and there's no reading then anymore either.

Anyway, all of that is to say I feel silly making this list of books I want to read and knowing full well that I probably won't get through them. I could find time to read, but it's just not that high on my priority list. Because if we're being honest, I'd rather sleep. But if I *were* to find/make time to read, here are the first five books I would want to crack open:

1.Carry On, Warrior: Thoughts on Life Unarmed: I have been reading Glennon's blog for over a year now and love her honest storytelling. The community that has grown out of her writings has done some pretty remarkable things. I'm so excited about this book that I might actually try to read it. For real.

2. Bloom: Finding Beauty in the Unexpected: Kelle is another blogger I have followed for a long time. Her photography is as beautiful as her writing,

3. Kisses From Katie: A Story of Relentless Love and Redemption: Are you seeing the blogger turned author trend? I haven't followed Katie as closely as some other bloggers, but I am so very amazed by her story. Moving to a country alone and adopting a whole houseful of orphans? Pretty remarkable.

4. One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are: Not a blogger! Or well, I don't think she is. But this book has been recommended by many MANY bloggers.

5. 7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess:  this one was recommended to me by Amazon. Amazon thinks I need to simplify? Or maybe Amazon thinks I only need to read books with colons and subtitles.

Be sure to check in with the other Ventage girls to see what they're wanting to read this year. I bet they're all planning to actually read those books too. Me? Well, I've got a date with Llama Llama and Moo Baa La La La.

4 comments:

Katrina said...

YAY!!! I've heard of all of these books except for one. I don't feel alone now! Bloom was great - a few parts that annoyed me, but overall fantastic. I'm adding the others to my GoodReads list. How 'bout if I read them and tell you all about them? ;)

angieoh! said...

Dont feel bad Steph! I am doing a lot more of reading Little Blue Truck than anything resemble grown up books.

I do miss it though!

Josie said...

I hear you...hardly anytime to read.
I did read bloom last year, its an easy read, I agree with katrina..some of it was really annoying..I feel like 2 different people were writing parts of the book.

Barb said...

Well, it's good to know what you like, right? And, you're definitely consistent in your choices.

:)