Wednesday, January 16, 2013

OLTW 2013: Plan


Plan: a detailed scheme, method, etc, for attaining an objective

I've always been a planner. It's part of my control freak nature. It served we well as a television news producer. On any given day breaking news could change my plan ten times, and I rarely went to air at 5pm with the show I had planned at 9am, but there was always a plan. 

Now, I'm a mom of two boys. And a wife. And an employee. And on any given day I feel like I am spinning my wheels and being pulled into fifty million different directions. The plan is even more important now. But it's so easy to just let the day to day engulf me and feel like making a plan is pointless. Sleep deprivation makes me just want to survive the day. But even that requires a plan.

This morning was a prime example of what happens when there isn't a plan. One late appointment snowballed into a chaotic morning. The little dude went to school in two different shoes. Both right feet. He looked like a hot mess. And I felt like a mess as I tried to explain our cluster of a morning to his teacher. I tried to tell myself she's heard it all before, but that doesn't make it any easier when it's happening to you.

So, it's time to get back to basics as Casa de Homburg. I don't want our objective to be survival. I want to enjoy 2013. And that, my friends, is going to take a plan.   

No comments: