Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Belated Ode to Emily


My dear Emily's birthday was on Monday. On Monday I was knee deep in the kind of laundry and disinfecting one does when the stomach flu hits your house, so this birthday post is a little late. Somehow I think Emily, a new mom of THREE, will understand.

There is some debate about how long Emily and I have known each other, but that's not really important. It was pre-babies. Back when we spent more time scrapbooking and going on crazy adventures. We still scrapbook, and there are still crazy adventures, but in general they involve more planning, extra packing, and often the addition of at least one little person. There's a special place in my heart for the friends I have grown into motherhood with, because if you can change and grow with a person in monumental ways without growing apart? That's true friendship.

Speaking of motherhood, Emily is an amazing mama. Pregnancy is rough on Em and involves things like bed rest and NSTs and the "jug of shame" but she's never complained. She's even crazy enough (I mean committed) to birth those babies all natural! Emily takes her job as a mama very seriously, and I have so much respect for her. Oliver has no idea how lucky he is to be born into a family that eats meals out of muffin tins, makes popsicles all summer, and goes on many an adventure to the great state of Wisconsin. He's going to learn quickly from his big brother and sister about how awesome it is to be a Spahn.

Emily is one of my funniest friends and I think it's because she is able to laugh at herself. I have laughed so hard I've cried listening to some of Emily's crazy stories. It's not always easy to choose to laugh. But Emily takes life with a grain of salt. She's not one to wallow. Little things like Dr Pepper and Cadbury eggs make her happy. When we talk I know she's going to find a way to see the bright side. And she's always going to find a way to make me laugh.

Em, I'm so lucky to call you my friend. I am thankful for all we share in common and all that makes us different. My life wouldn't be the same without our text messages and 3 am emails. I hope your birthday surrounded by three littles was the best one yet. I can't wait to see what the next year has in store for you!

1 comment:

justem said...

Thank you. For this post. For being my friend. For everything! :)