Friday, June 7, 2013

Friday Five

1. About AJ: Man this kid is funny. He is becoming such a smooth talker. "Doesn't that sound like a good plan, Mama?" and "I did a good thing! So we should do something fun!" My favorite from last weekend: "I do a good job, Mama. I only drive loo a little crazy." Reminders that he is always listening, always watching, always thinking. (And a little worry on my part that I probably don't set a very good example sometimes for things like patience.) He's also increasingly interested in the schedule. "What's next, mama? What we do after breakfast?" I better get a head start on those "Camp Homburg" plans or I have a feeling we'll have one very bored little boy on our hands this summer. Kind of blows my mind that he's old enough to really express boredom. A year ago he was just really starting to talk in 2-3 word sentences. I swore when he was a late talker that I would *never* ask him to be quiet. Sunday, after an especially trying morning of trying to get everyone dressed and ready for church, we were in the car and he was doing his "Mama? Mama? Mama?" and I responded with "Can you please stop talking for just a minute???" The words were out of my mouth before I even thought about it. And then I spent the rest of the morning beating myself up about it.

2. About Sammy: He had his 1 year check up this week. Graduated to the 10th percentile for weight and 12th for height (he was in the 3rd and 10th at his last appointment). For a boy who doesn't yet walk, he was certainly trying to escape my lap for the bulk of our time waiting in the exam room. He received his chicken pox vaccine. For those keeping track, that's the one that landed us in the hospital for an IVIG infusion with AJ. (They are not the same kid. They are not the same kid. They are not the same kid!) He is so very close to walking, but only does anything about it when we make him. He's an expert climber, though. I went to the bathroom the other day and came back out to find him on top of the toy box. IN HIS SLEEP SACK. Upper body strength anyone? A few times this week he's slept through until 4am. Except then he's decided 4am is time to start his day. So what's worse: interrupted sleep or a day that begins an hour before sunrise?

3. About Karl: He was just named lead engineer in the contract that's being signed for the Canada job he's been working on for the past year. It's kind of a big deal. The kind that means great things for his career and maybe crazy things for our family. I'm really proud of him. And trying not to worry too much about things that are out of my control. I'm also super stoked that having my mom in town for six weeks this summer means we'll actually get to spend some alone time together without going into debt to a babysitter. There's even talk of a double date or two with my favorite Green Bay Ventage girl and her hubby.

4. About Me: I'm up to my eyeballs in lists for the upcoming joint birthday party and baptism weekend. So many pins, so little time. Oh, and now we're adding an engagement session to the agenda because my brother and his new fiancee will be in town. So yay for that. But boo for the insane amount of prep work I need to get done in the next couple of weeks. Like sending out the invites that I've had printed for weeks. GAH! I'm struggling to get back on the Weight Watchers wagon after a couple of weeks that were heavy on the birthday celebrating. I'm definitely eating better than I was but I'm consuming more than my fair share of coffee. Back away from the Starbucks drive thru, Homburg. Oh, and I'm way more giddy than I have any right to be about the fact that Project Life is now available at Archivers. You know, the place where I work. The place where I get a discount. (I don't need more stuff. I don't need more stuff. I don't need more stuff.)

5. About my 35 before 35 list: I've made the bed 7 out of the last 14 mornings (Progress!) I tried a new recipe this week (Pasta with Roasted Broccoli totally amazing!) I'm potentially going to a hotel to sleep this weekend. And I dropped off the first batch (245 family slides!) to be scanned yesterday. Hooray!

No comments: