Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Gratitude: Day 2/30: Election Day


The first election I voted in also happened to be my first election working at a television station. I took a break from work and drove to the campus polling place with one of my coworkers, Dan Smart. I cast my ballot for the guy who didn't win.

Of course, I didn't find out he didn't win for several weeks. And the Supreme Court was involved. Ah, Indecision 2000. Dimpled chads. Recounts. Hanging chads. More recounts! All eyes were on Florida. And I was there!

A lot has changed in my life since November 2000. I am certainly more jaded than I was back then. I have different priorities that determine how I cast my vote these days. Tonight, I am watching the returns come in from my couch, in sweatpants and a Gator teeshirt. That's a first for me. For almost 10 years, I spent every election day/night/early morning after in a newsroom. Tonight, I get to decide when I go to bed. What a concept.

Tonight, I am grateful for the right to vote. I am thankful to live in a country where I am free to voice my opinions and even more importantly, I have the ability to do something! I cast my vote this morning with a big smile on my face. I was smelly from the gym, and in a rush because Karl was home watching AJ for me, but nothing was going to stop me from sliding my ballot into the machine and grabbing my I VOTED! sticker.

And I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in saying I'm grateful for an end to political ads and robo calls! Here's to a few months of peace and quiet before the campaigning starts for 2012! And mark your calendar, The Homburgs are having an Election Night party in 2012! Consider yourself invited!!

1 comment:

See Mama Run! said...

I love this post!!! Way to go, voting mama!